What is a windows service?
Windows service is an application or program running on a windows machine.
- Windows service runs in the background
- They can be configured start automatically when systemstarts
- They don’t have user interface
- To view all the services installed in windows machine:
- you can go to Start–>Run window or Windows+R key
- In run windows, type services.mac and it would open a services window with list of all services running in that machine
Use of Windows service:
- Event Logging
- Providing Security
- Error reporting
How to configure the windows Service to start automatically?
- Go to the service window
- Right click on any service and go to properties
- In General tab set the startup type to Automatic
- If the start up type is manual then the service won’t start automatically and we need to start those manually
- To start/stop the service manually: Right click on service and choose start/stop option
- You can configure the security login credentials in Logon tab
- In Recovery tab, you can define next action like restarting service,restart another service,no action etc if service fails
When to create a Windows service?
- When no user interaction is required
- To monitor performance
- To host a WCF service
- When the process can execute in background
© 2015, admin. All rights reserved.
Reference books, you may like:Programming WCF Services: Design and Build Maintainable Service-Oriented Systems
WCF Multi-Layer Services Development with Entity Framework, 4th Edition
Learning WCF: A Hands-on Guide