Open Data Protocol (OData) is an open protocol which allows the creation and consumption of queryable and interoperable RESTful APIs in a simple and standard way.
Data model exposed from OData service can be views by appending “$metadata” in query url, which returns the EDM schema in xml format and it is called as “conceptual schema definition language (CSDL),”
Similar to REST, all the resource from service are queried using URL and it uses standard REST based verbs for communication like
- GET: Reads data from entities
- PUT: Updates an existing entity
- POST: Creates a new entity
- DELETE: Removes an entity
- MERGE: Updates an existing entity, but replaces only specified properties
OData provides two set of option to serialize and transfer data through network using OData protocol. Most commonly Atom type is used for communication.
- Atom/AtomPub (feeds)
© 2015, admin. All rights reserved.