Step 1 : Choose the correct binding for your WCF Service.
Step 2 : Choose the correct Encoding for your WCF Service.
Step 3 : Compress after Encoding
- Right encoder reduces message size by 4-5 times
- Use IIS comression, If the message is shorter and hosted in WAS/IIS else use GZip and Deflate mechanism for all outgoing and Incoming message
- For custom compression,hook the encoder and apply custom compression mechanism
Step 4 : Choose the correct data Caching in your WCF Service.
You can consider caching data:
- In memory cache:
- Ideal for small sized application hosted on a single instance/server
- Use ASP.net caching services or runtime caching for WAS/IIS hosted service:
- Use Enterprise Library for self hosted service
- Ideal for distributed application
- Resolve several problems like sticky sessions, component-dependent caching, Cache synchronization etc
Step 5 : Performance Optimization
- If your WCF service is hosted on IIS you can turn on IIS compression for static and dynamic content to improve performance.
- You can use the Windows Performance Monitor to analyse the performance bottlenecks. You can enable WCF performance counters in config file
- Take advantage of NetTCP binding to boost the throughput of your WCF services.
- Use light-weight data exchange formats, i.e., JSON in your WCF service to minimize the network traffic that your WCF service would otherwise need to consume if SOAP were used as a data exchange format.
- You should always use DataContract Serializer in lieu of XMLSerializer for better performance.
- You can also explore the possibilities of using binary serialization formats like MessagePack to minimize the traffic even further.
- You can also compress the data transferred over the wire to cut down on the network traffic between the service provider and the service consumers.
- Since there is no built in way to cache service responses in WCF, you can write custom code to cache service responses.
- You should set WCF service throttling and service configuration appropriately to improve service performance
Reference books, you may like:Programming WCF Services: Design and Build Maintainable Service-Oriented Systems
WCF Multi-Layer Services Development with Entity Framework, 4th Edition
Learning WCF: A Hands-on Guide
You can go through the WCF Best Practices to create responsive WCF Service.
© 2015, admin. All rights reserved.